Veterans Programs
New York Alternative Veterans' Exemption Program
1 min read

How can this program help me?

If you are a veteran, this program gives you a property tax exemption (tax break) on local municipal taxes. You can take part in this program if you are an honorably discharged veteran who has a service-connected disability. You can also take part if you were in a combat zone or served during the Cold War.

You must live in a community that offers the program. The amount of exemption you get depends on when you served in the military and the level of your service-connected disability.

How do I get help?

To apply for this program, visit the program website or call your local tax assessor's office.

Frequently Asked Questions

See What Key Benefits Programs You May Qualify For

BenefitsCheckUp can help you assess whether you can get help from programs before you apply. Answer questions anonymously to find out if you may be eligible for key benefits programs, including the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), Medicare Savings Programs, Medicaid, Medicare Part D Low Income Subsidy (LIS) - Extra Help, among others. 

two women looking at cellphone