Crisis, Legal, & General Help
Adult Protective Services (APS)
2 min read

How can this program help me?

The Adult Protective Services (APS) program can help when, because of a mental or physical disability, you (or someone you know) can no longer take care of basic needs such as food, clothing, shelter, and medical care. APS also investigates and provides support if you are an older adult who is being abused (physical, emotional, verbal, or sexual abuse), neglected, or taken advantage of financially by people close to you. These people may include a spouse, caregiver, other family members, and friends. Services through APS may involve:

  • Completing home visitations
  • Providing counseling, advocacy, and financial management
  • Securing home care and/or respite services 
  • Finding different living arrangements (includes long-term care facilities or assisted living)
  • Applying for guardianship for people who have no one to assist them
  • Coordinating legal services to get emergency orders or guardianship/conservatorship
  • Providing referrals to other agencies for assessment, social, and/or medical services

How do I get help?

To find out if you or another adult can get services through APS,, go to the Elder Justice Initiative website. Choose your state in the drop-down menu to view elder justice resources near you. 

Frequently Asked Questions

See What Key Benefits Programs You May Qualify For

BenefitsCheckUp can help you assess whether you can get help from programs before you apply. Answer questions anonymously to find out if you may be eligible for key benefits programs, including the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), Medicare Savings Programs, Medicaid, Medicare Part D Low Income Subsidy (LIS) - Extra Help, among others. 

two women looking at cellphone